Re: enabling apm on laptop

-- Charlie Reiman <creiman@kefta.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 11 December 2002, 01:08 PM -0800):

OP = Original Poster -- the person who posted the original
problem/question.

> 'uname -r' returns '2.4.18-bf2.4'.
Okay, so that's the kernel -- if the OP is reading this, this one is
also evidently an option.

> It's what I got from installing sid with the bf2.4 option, which was
> the only way I found to get a 2.4 series kernel.

> apm is definitely not compiled in. I'm loading it via the module system.
Right -- that's how debian kernels are done; drivers/options are
compiled as modules, and very little is actually enabled by default. So,
in this case, the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel,  apm *is* enabled as a module for
the kernel

> USB, BTW, also works for my purposes. I suspect PCMCIA doesn't work though
> but I don't need that so much.
And, if you need it, there are other kernels that have associated
pcmcia-module packages, and you can install them later.

> OT: I had huge problems with compiling my own kernels. Mounting CD roms
> would corrupt my harddisk. Since each try to get it working involved
> destroying my installation, I quickly lost patience with the exercise and
> stuck to the prebuilt kernels.
Wow -- never had that one. I had great success with every kernel I
compiled, except when I was trying to build one for a machine that got
its IP address via DHCP; I didn't realize there were two kernel options
the dhcpcd daemon required. That situation was quickly corrected though.
I'm curious what could have happened that mounting a CD would corrupt
your harddisk...

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net