RE: enabling apm on laptop

Well, it tells me the battery level, knows if the power is attached, and can
put the machine to sleep although I have to do it manually (apm -s). Should
it do much else? Hibernate would be nice (and almost works) but it comes up
with a corrupted screen and never recovers.

It sounds like your experience is broader than mine but I'm not sure why it
would matter that the apm support is compiled in or loaded. My is definately
being loaded but it works just the same. I didn't do anyting special besides
apt-get install apmd.