Re: port :80 and my ISP

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:39:11 +0000 (UTC)
"Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 20021210045412.1f1a2517.shawn.lamson@verizon.net>,
> Shawn Lamson  <shawn.lamson@verizon.net> wrote:
> >http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/portscan.htm
> >worked - it said port 80 is closed, but how can i tell if there is
> >something on my computer closed it or if the ISP closes it?  Maybe a
> >program that will tell me it has received requests or packets on that
> >port, something that runs on my machine.
>
> # tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 80
>
> (replace eth0 by the interface your cable connection is on)
>
> Mike.

Thanks - i tried it and here is what i get:
[shawnl]# telnet 138.89.11.115 80
Trying 138.89.11.115...
[shawnl]# telnet 138.89.11.115 23
Trying 138.89.11.115...
[shawnl]# telnet 138.89.11.115 8000
Trying 138.89.11.115...
Connected to 138.89.11.115.
Escape character is '^]'.
login
<title>501 Method Not Implemented</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Method Not Implemented</h1>
<hr />
<address>Apache/2.0.43 Server at 138.89.11.115 Port 8000</address>
Connection closed by foreign host.
[shawnl]#
I get action from tcpdump when listening on port 8000 but nada on 80; is it safe to assume that it is blocked by an OUTSIDE source?  I get results from tcpdump on ports 22 23 25 8000 but nothing on 80...
The other weird thing is that i used a "dynamic IP redirection" service
from no-ip.com and it hits my page - the weird part is even when i monitor port 8000 and access my page I don't see anything from tcpdump
when accessing the page that way.  Here is the command I used
#tcpdump -i ppp0 tcp port X

Thank you for your help,

Shawn