Re: port :80 and my ISP

On 10 Dec 2002 04:46:38 -0500
Ludwig <ludwig@superdeluxe.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 04:15, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > Hey all -
> >
> > I am working on getting my box to serve a webpage; it seems ok with
> apache2 running (btw not the debian packaged version - it seemed
> "whacked") but I have to use port 123.321.89.98:8000 b/c I can't seem to
> get anything from port 80... I am assuming my ISP blocks port 80, but
> what can I use to see if anything does in fact come in to port 80 and I
> am somehow rejecting/denying the packets?  I am not running any sort of
> firewall that I know of.
>

> If your ISP is blocking the traffic, your machine will never see it,
> much less reject it.  Try portscanning yourself from elsewhere, either
> with nmap from a shell account, or from a web site such as
> http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/portscan.htm or
> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>
> They usually scan only a limited number of "popular" ports, but 80 would
> certainly qualify...

http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/portscan.htm
worked - it said port 80 is closed, but how can i tell if there is something on my computer closed it or if the ISP closes it?  Maybe a program that will tell me it has recieved requests or packets on that port, something that runs on my machine.  I know there are programs like that , I just am not familiar with the name or usage, so would appreciate a tip on it.  THank you for your response though - at least I know that i didnt "mess up" with apache, esp since I can access my page on port 8000!

Shawn