Re: Sounds of silence--I want volume!

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:51:11PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:13:50AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > I think it's ill advice, not worthy of this list --sory for the rant,
> > it's not personally, it's just that you're not the first to give such
> > nonsensical advice, it seems that it's even a favourite one lately:(--

Oh me and my big mouth, hope nobody calls for arguments:(

> > , to advice people to mess with those flags where the proper way is to
> > add users to specific groups.  In this case the cdrom group.  And
> > whilst the OP is add it, he might as well check he's in the audio group
> > too.
> Why is this advice nonsensical, though? As you say, several people
> have given it recently. Rather fewer people have responded, as you did,
> saying it's a bad idea. Nobody has explained WHY it's a bad idea. What
> harm does it do if the world and his dog can read my CD-ROM?

I wasn't particular concerned with the full access part, but with
bypassing the group protection layer in general.  This layer is used
to make it possible to hand over parts of the hardware to selected
programs to do their low level things without handing over the entire
machine. It's also used to give individual users access to selected
programs and hardware parts.  Thus deviding and restricting access
helps managing security.

One can argue what the relevance is for say a cdrom, but e.g. for
disks it would be dramatic (giving all more or less root access).
Once people start circumventing it for simple things as sound, discs
will follow (IIRC even adviced on this list, though not recently)

--
groetjes, carel