Re: Sounds of silence--I want volume!

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:51:11PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> Re groups: he did...
>
> Why is this advice nonsensical, though? As you say, several people
> have given it recently. Rather fewer people have responded, as you did,
> saying it's a bad idea. Nobody has explained WHY it's a bad idea. What
> harm does it do if the world and his dog can read my CD-ROM?

It encourages bad habits.  Later, Joe user gets a job administrating
some UNIX boxen somewhere and when some luser can't access a device,
Joe says "well hell!  I'll just make the thing world rw and life will
be great."  Later that week someone will accidentally overwrite the
accounting database and the company will go out of business.  Oops.

UNIX gives us tools.  We should use them.  History allows us to learn
from the mistakes of others.

Sermon over :)

  For the next hour, WE will control all that you see and hear.