Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 11:26:48PM -0600, Nicolaus Kedegren wrote:
> Exactly what security issues have you read about? I am pretty curious as
> most of these little boxes seem to be NAT, and not much more. And since
> a great deal of people are using these boxes, it would be interesting to
> hear what problems you read about. Me, myself and I haven't heard of any
> problems.

Well, they fall over pretty easily when hit with a DDOS, and it's not
hard to get the equivilent of root on them.  They don't have stateful
firewalling.  About the only thing they're advertised as doing that
they actually do is NAT.  NAT is not to be relied apon for security.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user