Re: sound card on intel board not work, please help

Eric,

First of all, if you compiled 2.4.20, make sure that you built both of
those drivers either directly into the kernel, or as modules.  Judging
by how you phrased your question, you're expecting them as modules, so

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:18:13AM -0700, eric lin wrote:
> Dear linux advancer:
>
>   I had intel D845PESV , come with AC97 and eeproLAN, both all not work
> in 2.4.20 .  like AC97, I put it in /etc/modules

What do you mean by "like AC97, I put it in /etc/modules"?  What
module did you load into /etc/modules?  If it was just ac97_codec,
then sound won't work as that sits on top of another driver.  Because
this is an Intel board, I would try the i810_audio module, and if that
doesn't work, find out more about the name of the card and try ALSA.
(Note, in order for ALSA to work under 2.4.20, you need to apply the
patch from the bug page for it as the ALSA team expected a change in
USB handling in 2.4.20 that didn't come.)

As for the eepro NIC, make sure that you have it selected and build a
module for it.  I suggest putting this in /etc/modutils/aliases,
thereby having the kernel module automaticlly load, but that's up to
you.  (It will work just fine in /etc/modules too.)

> please help on that, actually in windowXP I also have no osund, I
> remember XP install warn me AC97 is not compatible with windowXP, but I
> still let that software dirver install from XP cd.  it had no sound though.

My integrated sound (Intel 82801BA-ICH2) is AC97 based, and I had zero
problems with it when the machine came preinstalled with Windows XP,
and when I had to reinstall XP when it barfed all over itself.  (This
was a friend's computer at the time, and then I bought it from him.)

Like I said, try i810_audio, and hopefully it will work.  :-)

> also is Koda  digital Camera using USB be supported?  Highly apprecaite
> your reply and help and effort and time

http://www.linux-usb.org/ is your friend for questions like this.

Happy to help,

--