Re: dselect install get's stuck with console-data config -- please help!

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 06:38:16PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 11:15:30PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Not at all. I've never used 'apt-get dist-upgrade' - always dselect. :)
>
> right, i don't think dselect was the cause of the problem.  i think
> the problem was that he removed all his previous stable sources and
> put in a bunch of testing sources, so dselect got really confused because
> it wanted to keep him in stable, but couldn't figure out why it couldn't
> find any stable packages.

That makes no sense, though. dselect only knows what it's told from the
available file; if you've run the [U]pdate step, it won't know anything
about stable.

dselect has no concept of stable, testing, or unstable beyond what's in
the available file.