Re: Why make-kpkg? What and Where is apt-src?

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:27:53AM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2002-12-06T07:39:36Z, Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp> writes:
> > make-kpkg is kin of idiot proof. I make sure you don't forget to do
> > stuff. Also having a .deb of your kernel and using dpkg to install
> > it also makes sure you don't forget to do things like run lilo.
>
> Beyond that, it also provides the package management system with proof
> that you actually have a kernel installed so that said management
> system doesn't say, "Oh, he needs a kernel!" and install one of its
> choosing for you.

Fortunately, this tends not to happen in Debian (it used to be a problem
for me in Red Hat). There's a general awareness among maintainers that a
lot of people compile their own kernels without telling the packaging
system about them, so userland packages don't depend on kernel packages.