Re: Why make-kpkg? What and Where is apt-src?

Hi,

* Thomas H. George,,, <georgeacct@spininternet.com> [021206 11:45]:

<snip>

> and then copying the new bzImage to /boot, running lilo and rebooting.
> One set of instructions seems to indicate I can still use this approach
> using apt-src after I have downloaded pcmcia-cs.tar.gz to /usr/src and
> unpacked it.  However, apt-src is unknown on my system and apt-cache
> search apt-src can't find it.  The other approach uses make-kpkg to make
> a .deb package of my kernel which dpkg will install.  I can see this
> would be neat if I wanted to package my kernel to give to someone else
> but what advantage does it offer me?

make-kpkg is kin of idiot proof. I make sure you don't forget to do
stuff. Also having a .deb of your kernel and using dpkg to install it
also makes sure you don't forget to do things like run lilo.

Regarding apt-src... what is in your sources.list? Did you run
"apt-get update"? ... apt-src _is_ the name of the package so you
should be able to just do "apt-get install apt-src".

<snip>

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.19-lavienx #1 Sat Sep 21 19:58:12 EST 2002