Re: openGL question

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:05:10PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> High,
>
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:21:44PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > At the moment I am making some openGL programs in C. When I run the
> > > program, I find it pretty slow, considering the low amount of polygons.
> > >
> > > I have a Diamond Fire openGL 1000 Pro video card, but, AFAIK, there is no
> > > special support for it under X.
> > >
> > > So few questions:
> > > - is it possible that because of the lack of support for my videa card
> > > all 3D stuff is done by my main CPU?
> >
> > This is possible. A quick search showed that your card uses a 3dlabs
> > permedia 2 chipset. This should be supported by XFree86.
> >
> > > - could it be that I am missing some libraries which should be needed when
> > > running GL programs? (I have currently installed glutg3 and glutg3-dev)
> >
> > Probably not.
> >
> > > - without native video card support, is it possible (with a trick
> > > perhaps?) to bypass X or something?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > - how can I view/set 3D/GL settings for my X?
> >
> > try running glxinfo. It should tell if you are running in hardware
> > accelerated mode. (look for the line 'OpenGL renderer string:' and the
> > line 'direct rendering:')
> >
> This is what I get:
> direct rendering: No
> server glx vendor string: SGI
> server glx version string: 1.2
> server glx extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> client glx vendor string: SGI
> client glx version string: 1.2
> client glx extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> GLX extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
> OpenGL extensions:
>     GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
>     GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract
> glu version: 1.3
> glu extensions:
>     GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
>
>    visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
>  id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
> 0x23 16 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
> 0x24 16 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
> 0x25 16 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
> 0x26 16 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
>

> The direct rendering is set to No. Does this mean that my video card
> handles most of it, or just the contrary?

- direct rendering: No
- OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
These two mean that the CPU handles everything.

What version of X are you running (try 'xdpyinfo |head' , it should give
you the XFree86 version) ? In my experience, hardware opengl support is
easier to get going with versions 4.0 and higher.

Frank