Re: openGL question

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:21:44PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment I am making some openGL programs in C. When I run the
> program, I find it pretty slow, considering the low amount of polygons.
>
> I have a Diamond Fire openGL 1000 Pro video card, but, AFAIK, there is no
> special support for it under X.
>
> So few questions:
> - is it possible that because of the lack of support for my videa card
> all 3D stuff is done by my main CPU?

This is possible. A quick search showed that your card uses a 3dlabs
permedia 2 chipset. This should be supported by XFree86.

> - could it be that I am missing some libraries which should be needed when
> running GL programs? (I have currently installed glutg3 and glutg3-dev)

Probably not.

> - without native video card support, is it possible (with a trick
> perhaps?) to bypass X or something?

No.

> - how can I view/set 3D/GL settings for my X?

try running glxinfo. It should tell if you are running in hardware
accelerated mode. (look for the line 'OpenGL renderer string:' and the
line 'direct rendering:')

Frank