Re: sync root passwords?

Hopefully, you're using ssh on all your machines. If so (and if you're set up to use public keys for authentication, instead of passwords) you could do something like:

#/bin/sh

servers="server1 server2 server3 server4";

for server in $servers; do
   ssh $server passwd root $1;
done;

which would ssh into every server in the list $servers, and change the root password to the given arguement.

You may want to look at NIS for centeralized management, as well.

I would not recommend directly copying the shadow entry. You've got a lot of ways for something to go bad there, especially with lots of machines...

--Rich

Mike Egglestone wrote:
Hi,
Is there a debian package for syncing root passwords on multiple servers?
If I had a 100 debian servers, and want the root passwords all be the same,
is there a util that will sync just the root password?

or perhaps someone has a script they use?

At first glance, its appears that I start with one server,
change the password, extract the encrpted line from /etc/shadow and somehow
copy this line to all other servers at /etc/shadow.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Mike

Rich Puhek