Re: A winmodem problem

Barry Cugley wrote:

Hello
I hope someone here can help me. The system is Debian version 3 and kernel 2.4.18 The modem is described as: LM (AusTel: 018-05600618) L56DM+S InModem IN5699 (OEM pack), Model IN5692, Lucent 1646T00/1034AH-J (Mars-2) chipset, Requires Lucent "Linmodem" driver Yes No PCI Warwick Rendell, Rick Harris The computer is a 200Mhz Pentium II (a 586 chip). From the "Linux Drivers for Lucent/Agere Winmodems - download page" (www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/ <http://www.sfu.ca/%7Ecth/ltmodem/>) I have found two drivers, either of which _might_ be the one I need. These are named: ltmodem-2.4.18-386 8.00a3 i386.deb and ltmodem-2.4.18-586tsc 8.00a3 i386.deb I have no experience in setting up any modem with Linux and the data above means very little to me.

It looks like the two drivers are for two "flavors" of kernel; one compiled generically for the i386 platform (486, Pentium, etc), and one compiled for the more specific Pentium-flavor of i386 architecture. Try one, and if it doesn't work, try the other.

download ltmodem-2.4.18{whatever} and then from the directory to which you downloaded the file(s), run the command
   dpkg -i ltmodem-2.4.18{whatever}
to install that driver.

Then run something like "pppconfig" to set up your connection software. Hopefully it'll find your modem now. If not, either pppconfig isn't smart enough to find the lucent modem and you'll have to feed it the correct parameters (IRQ, etc) (or use a different tool, such as wvdialconfig), or you didn't install the correct driver.

If you want to uninstall the first driver and try the second, run the commands
   dpkg -r --purge ltmodem-2.4.18[whatever]
   dpkg -i ltmodem-2.4.18[the other one]

Then go back to the "pppconfig" step above.

Any problems, feel free to holler back to the list.

Kent

Questions are:
1. which driver should I try? and
2. how do I remove a package if I install the wrong one?
Regards
Barry