Re: In a bind about named and network printing.

"Paul Lewis" <paul.lewis@karachi.freeuk.com> writes:
> I have been playing with my local networks 'named' and finally got it
> working more or less the way I think it should. Evidence for this is
> that I can ping <local machine name> and it returns the fully
> qualified machine name plus the ping responces. This works on all
> machines except the server 'named' is actually running on. Where the
> ping goes off along the cable modem never to resolve (my network is
> strictly a local affair). So far so good.

How do your internal machines resolve external addresses? Does each of
them have a resolve.conf that points to your ISP nameservers, as well
as your internal nameserver, or do you have your internal name server
query your ISPs nameservers? You really want the latter to have
everything work the "Right Way (TM)".

I'm assuming you don't have your local bind configured to query your
ISP name server? That's probably what you need to do to fix things up
completely and then put into /etc/resolv.conf on your box running
named:
        domain whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        search whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        nameserver 127.0.0.1
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #1 IP>
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #2 IP>

The 127.0.0.1 will cause your server to query itself first, then, if
necessary go to your ISP nameservers.

You'll have to look at the bind docs to see how to set up your bind
server to forward requests for external IPs to your ISPs
nameservers. In Bind 4 (my server ran OpenBSD), after you defined your
local zones in named.boot you put:

	forwarders      10.x.x.x 10.x.x.x
	options         forward-only

replacing the two 10.x.x.x addresses with your ISPs nameserver
IP addresses

> What is really causing me to scratch my head is that suddenly ( at the
> same time ) the printer located on my server (the same server which
> runs named) no longer works for print jobs across the network. The
> print jobs are all queued on my debian machine but never get printed
> on my redhat server.
>
> I am pretty sure it is related to my tinkerings but just can't see
> where the problem lies. Any suggestions?

Fix the first prob, then the second may disappear. If not you can ask
again after the first problem is resolved!

Gary