Re: In a bind about named and network printing.

On 2002.12.03 18:06 Gary Hennigan wrote:
"Paul Lewis" <paul.lewis@karachi.freeuk.com> writes:
So far so good.

How do your internal machines resolve external addresses? Does each of
them have a resolve.conf that points to your ISP nameservers, as well
as your internal nameserver, or do you have your internal name server
query your ISPs nameservers? You really want the latter to have
everything work the "Right Way (TM)".

I'm assuming you don't have your local bind configured to query your
ISP name server? That's probably what you need to do to fix things up
completely and then put into /etc/resolv.conf on your box running
named:
        domain whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        search whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        nameserver 127.0.0.1
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #1 IP>
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #2 IP>

How do your internal machines resolve external addresses? Does each of
them have a resolve.conf that points to your ISP nameservers, as well
as your internal nameserver, or do you have your internal name server
query your ISPs nameservers? You really want the latter to have
everything work the "Right Way (TM)".

I'm assuming you don't have your local bind configured to query your
ISP name server? That's probably what you need to do to fix things up
completely and then put into /etc/resolv.conf on your box running
named:
        domain whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        search whatever.you.call.your.home.domain
        nameserver 127.0.0.1
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #1 IP>
        nameserver <ISP nameserver #2 IP>

The 127.0.0.1 will cause your server to query itself first, then, if
necessary go to your ISP nameservers.

Thanks to all three of you (Stephen, Alan and Gary), this reply seemed the easiest to try and it looks like it worked. After some addional spice thrown in by my dsl modem. Leastwise everything seems to be functioning normally now. My resolve file looks similar to this now except I did not include the domain. The docs, such as I have read them suggested they are incompatible together.

You'll have to look at the bind docs to see how to set up your bind
server to forward requests for external IPs to your ISPs
nameservers. In Bind 4 (my server ran OpenBSD), after you defined your
local zones in named.boot you put:

	forwarders      10.x.x.x 10.x.x.x
	options         forward-only

replacing the two 10.x.x.x addresses with your ISPs nameserver
IP addresses

According to the HOW-TO is am working from the correct format for my named.conf is

        forwarders first;
        forwarders {
        <numeric ip ns1>;
        <numeric ip ns2>;
};

> I am pretty sure it is related to my tinkerings but just can't see
> where the problem lies. Any suggestions?

Fix the first prob, then the second may disappear. If not you can ask
again after the first problem is resolved!

Absolutely, spot on.

Gary