Can not log into Gnome2

Greetings,

I have been unable to log into a gnome-session in the past two days.
I've started getting the following "security violations" in logcheck
corresponding to the times I attempt to log in.

Dec  2 18:38:07 localhost pam_limits[6588]: setrlimit limit #7 to
soft=-1,
+hard=-1 failed: Operation not permitted; uid=0 euid=0
Dec  2 18:38:30 localhost pam_limits[6644]: setrlimit limit #7 to
soft=-1,
+hard=-1 failed: Operation not permitted; uid=0 euid=0
Dec  2 18:38:58 localhost pam_limits[6692]: setrlimit limit #7 to
soft=-1,
+hard=-1 failed: Operation not permitted; uid=0 euid=0

(note I substituted localhost for the computer name in this mail message)

My /etc/security/limits.conf file is at the default state, and I was
able to log into gnome2 before yesterday afternoon.  Now when I attempt
to log into a gnome-sessionce, the screen goes black and then just
returns to the kdm login screen  (the same thing happens with gdm).  I
can log into kde or a default xsession (as long as it isn't gnome2)
without any problem.  I am using the unstable branch.

Any suggestions as to where I should look to solve this problem?

Tony