Re: how does one format a floppy to use a vfat partition

Hello,

Am 03:07 2002-12-03 -0500 hat sean finney geschrieben:

>first of all, if you're dealing with a failing media, the first thing
>to do is get the data off the disk!  do
>
>dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img

and if your second sector is broken you get only 512 Bytes...
I have tried this bevore... Because I must Download the E-Mails
in a Cyber-Center, transfer it to Disk, and let procmal eat it
to distrbute it localy...

I have lost 1.2 MBytes of E-Mails on it.

Then I have tried to skip sectors with the options in dd...
Then good luck...

>and then you have what you can get off the floppy in a 1.44 mb image
>on your hard drive.  you can then set up this file on the loopback
>device and do things like fsck it or mount it or mtools or whatever,
>just like it were a hard drive or floppy device, and you can make
>a bajillion copies of it and not worry about destroying it by trying
>to save it.

All is theorie...

>hth
>	sean