Re: how does one format a floppy to use a vfat partition

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 21:07, jcunningham@engine8.com wrote:
> hi list, i've been reading tons of docs on mkfs and mtools because i need
> to make a copy of a somewhat corrupt ms floppy which is vfat but can't
> find the command to do so. so, how does one format a floppy to have a vfat
> partition and not just an msdos fat or fat32 partition?  i re-rolled my
> kernel to support vfat but still cant get it working.  am i missing the
> obvious here?
> thanks, justin
>
> ps:  please reply to my email as i am not currently on the debian-user list

VFAT is *kinda* a pseudo-filesystem, in that it actually requires
another filesystem under it to work - be that FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32.
Mount the diskette as:

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy

or whatever the appropriate device and mount point are for you, and you
will see the long file names automagically, as well as being able to
write long filenames (if you have write access to the mount point.) The
underlying format is just the normal IBM/Microsoft PC FAT format. With
the mtools package, you can use mformat to do traditional Microsoftish
floppy formatting, although it does use a non-standard convention of
referring to devices as things like a: and b:
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org