Re: dselect wants to uninstall everything?

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Brian Kendig wrote:

> I have a fresh install of Debian Linux 3.0.  I want to use dselect to
> install some additional packages... but it appears that, by default,
> dselect wants to *uninstall* most of my Debian installation, unless I
> go through the list by hand and tell it to keep each installed package!

How did you install Debian Linux 3.0.
As far as I can remember after the base configurations you are asked to
run tasksel or dselect. Then you have the possibility to choose your
packages.

> I run 'dselect' from a command line and I can get it to load and
> display the list of available packages.  But if I don't change the list
> of packages at all, and instead go directly to the 'install' option,
> then it tries to deinstall hundreds of packages (including basic stuff
> like 'at' and 'adduser' and 'cpp' and 'dc').  If I go back to the
> 'select' list and try to tell it to keep any of these packages, it
> complains about dependency problems and lists a lot of packages which
> seem to have nothing to do with the one I'm trying to keep prevent
> being deleted.

If there are unsolved dependencies or conflicts then dselect tries to
solve them.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit