Re: dselect wants to uninstall everything?

On Monday 02 December 2002 17:49, Brian Kendig wrote:
> I have a fresh install of Debian Linux 3.0.  I want to use dselect to
> install some additional packages... but it appears that, by default,
> dselect wants to *uninstall* most of my Debian installation, unless I
> go through the list by hand and tell it to keep each installed package!
>
> I run 'dselect' from a command line and I can get it to load and
> display the list of available packages.  But if I don't change the list
> of packages at all, and instead go directly to the 'install' option,
> then it tries to deinstall hundreds of packages (including basic stuff
> like 'at' and 'adduser' and 'cpp' and 'dc').  If I go back to the
> 'select' list and try to tell it to keep any of these packages, it
> complains about dependency problems and lists a lot of packages which
> seem to have nothing to do with the one I'm trying to keep prevent
> being deleted.
>
> What the heck am I doing wrong here?  How do I get dselect to simply
> leave alone the stuff I've already got installed, and just let me select
> new packages to install?

You have some dependancies which are unsatified. dselect try to make your
system coherent. Maybe some of your packages depends on other packages which
are not avaible. What is your sources.list file?

You will not be able to use dselect with broken dependancies, which is not a
bad thing: a broken dependancy make a package unusable. I suggest you to
check the dependancy with "apt-cache unmet" and to repair your system by hand
using "apt-get install" to install a new package and "dpkg deinstall" to
deinstall package.

By the way, what medium have you used to install your system. The default
installation with the CD's does not have this kind of problems. When you use
dselect for the first time, it try to install packages (and you should
accept).

It may be also a solution to reinstall compltetly your system with the CD's.
Possibly after having made a backup of your important file. Install the
package you want and accept all dselect suggestions according to the
dependancies.