From: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
To: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: configuring X
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 01:12:42 +0000

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:53:11PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> I've got a few questions regarding X. I hope that someone can help me to
> solve these problems.
> 1. I need to configure X so that I can use xfont-75dpi. I currently have
> xfont-100dpi and I cannot get rid of this since it will get rid of the
> x-window-system as well. So, can anyone please help me on how to configure
> this?

I answered your question on this earlier today. I guess you aren't
subscribed to the list? If not, it would help if you requested to be
copied on replies.

My answer was "Don't worry about removing those [x-window-system and
x-window-system-core]. They're just convenience packages."

> 2. I currently have twm. I would like to get rid of this and use sawfish.
> If and when I install sawfish, do I need to reconfigure X again?

No. You just need to use 'update-alternatives --config x-window-manager'
to make sawfish the default, and/or change your .xsession script if you
have one.

(Actually, sawfish will probably become the default anyway once
installed, if I remember the priorities correctly, but
update-alternatives is a useful thing to be aware of anyway.)

Cheers,