Re: firewall problems !!

* Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> [2002-12-01 15:04:29 +0000]:
> > > Can anyone tell me of an idiots firewall ? One even I can set up ?
> >
> > Setting up a firewall without knowing what it exactly does is dangerous.
> > You should consider learning how to write your own firewall rules IMO.
>
> [...]
> Writing firewall rules takes a lot of learning, and creating a
> firewall is (for many people with simple requirements) just a one-off
> task that makes all the learning not a very cost effective way of
> spending time.

Richard,

I vehemently disagree. If simply pointing and clicking results in
setting up something as critical as a firewall system (even something as
small as a personal firewall), then you should have *some* understanding
of what is going on. If you don't, you need to learn.

Granted, there is no need to go into design, implementation details,
etc., but giving such advice as you did above is probably not a good
idea for people new to the whole thing, as it lulls them into a false
sense of security.

thomas

--
N. Thomas