Re: What is a 'path'?

Simple enough when it's explained the way you guys did.
Thanks, Sean and Tom.

Alex

sean finney wrote:
heya

path refers to the list of directories through which your shell searches when you tell it to execute a command. for example, when
you type 'ls' at the prompt, your shell executes /bin/ls.  as far as
messing around with your path, that depends in part on which shell you're
using.
assuming you're using the default bash (or other borne compatible
shell), you can see your path by typing
echo $PATH

to set your path to include /usr/X11R6/bin, you just need to say

PATH="${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin"

on the commandline or in your .bashrc file.  what the line does is
basically set PATH to the value of PATH plus the new directory,
/usr/X11R6/bin.

however, i'd imagine that this would already be taken care of for you
and you shouldn't need to manually do it if you've installed X stuff
with debian.

hth
	sean