Re: firewall problems !!

Am Son, 2002-12-01 um 00.38 schrieb daves debian:
> I have firestarter installed on my system, I logon as root, start the setup
> wizard, simple config, test as root, aok, log out and into a user account, aok
>
> re-boot my machine and root is OK but no matter what I configure, my day to
> day user account cannot access the web, or mail !!!
>
> I thought that default config would set up a firewall for me ??
> I have to
> firestarter --stop
> to access the web ...
>
> I admit iptables and IP addresses confuses me,
>
> Can anyone tell me of an idiots firewall ? One even I can set up ?

Setting up a firewall without knowing what it exactly does is dangerous.
You should consider learning how to write your own firewall rules IMO.

It's not that hard to learn but requires a lot of reading. Google is
your friend.

Sorry can't help you with firestarter since i don't use it.

--

Matthias Hentges
[www.hentges.net] -> PGP + HTML are welcome

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice