unsubscribe

debian-user-digest Digest				Volume 2002 : Issue 703

Today's Topics:
 Re: IDE disks won't interoperate      [ "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> ]
 Re: Mutt and multiple identities      [ Thorsten Haude <debian@thorstenhau. ]
 Re: Font anti-aliasing                [ Johan Ehnberg <johan@ehnberg.net> ]
 Re: usb mouse                         [ "Bruce Park" <bpark79@hotmail.com> ]
 Re: DMI pool data                     [ messmate <messmate@tiscali.fr> ]
 who knows a V.92 compatible ISP?      [ <Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net> ]
 Re: Font anti-aliasing                [ Bruno Diniz de Paula <diniz@cs.rutg ]
 kbdrate as ordinary user              [ Ward Vandewege <ward@pong.be> ]
 what's everyone's favorite audio set  [ sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> ]
 Re: Mutt and multiple identities      [ Matthew Daubenspeck <matt@oddproces ]
 emusic.com?                           [ "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris ]
 Re: Cheap CDs                         [ Chris Lale <ctlale@coolscience.co.u ]
 Re: block webistes                    [ Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> ]
 Re: Exim permissions                  [ Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcg ]
 KWANZAA MUSIC OF NEW ORLEANS          [ MUSIC@EARTHDOME.COM ]
 The IP MASQ MTU problem               [ Mark Copper <m.copper@wayne.edu> ]
 Re: Can't get KDE working!            [ Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcg ]
 Apache dies after logrotate           [ Iain <iain@voffice.myspinach.org> ]
 Re: remote printing                   [ Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcg ]
 Re: Exim + Procmail + Cyrus           [ "David Ellis" <david@ellisd.ca> ]
 Re: dhclient problems                 [ Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcg ]
 MSN Messenger SERVER for linux?       [ "David Ellis" <david@ellisd.ca> ]

Re: IDE disks won't interoperate
From:
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:26:59 -0800 (PST)
To:
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>

Oliver Elphick said:
Situation:

I have a 6Gb 2.5" drive from a laptop, that won't boot in the laptop and
has been replaced by a 10Gb drive. (The old disk is Hitachi DK228A-65, and
the new is DK23BA-10.)

a lot of older IDE disks have compadiblity issues with each other.
some refuse to be a slave in any configuration, some refuse to work
on the same channel unless the other disk is the same brand(or same model),
etc.

your best bet would be to install a 2nd ide controller and hook the
drive to it. or you can try making the cdrom a slave and the hard disk
a master and see if that helps. also there may be special jumpers on the
disk which may put it in a more 'compadible' mode. consult the docs on the
drive for this info. I reccomend promise ata/100 controllers.

nate

Re: Mutt and multiple identities