Re: Will Gregg and Monica's computer support Debian?

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 11:42, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:48:46PM +1100, Russell wrote:
> > Pigeon wrote:

> > > You need another hard drive. 4Gb is too small (IMO) for Windoze, let
> > > alone another OS. Plus, installing Linux on a separate drive reduces
> > > the risk of damaging your Windoze installation. It's hard to get a new
> > > HD less that 40Gb these days, and they're dead cheap, so that's what
> > > I'd do.
> >
> > I'm using a pc with win98, 1.3G HDD, 64MB ram, and using mainly mozilla.
> > The system is very adequate for that. I'd think it could dual boot just
> > with a 2GB HDD. With lots more windows apps and linux desktops, a 6.4GB
> > HDD should be ok.
>
> Gordon Bennett! win98 and linux on 1.3G! Well, it does depend... I've
> known a few people want win98 set up on a 500Mb HD, and it gets a bit
> silly, cos you can only install about one app. So you can go online
> with it, but that's about the limit.
>
> $ du -s /windoze
> 1531336 /windoze (contains \Program Files and all the apps & data)
> (plus a 375Mb boot partition which I don't mount in Linux, with
> C:|WINDOWS and subdirectories)
> $ du -s /usr
> 950904 /usr
>
> Pigeon

Y'know, my old Pentium/90 MHz had 1 GB for Windows NT (okay, it was
3.51), OS/2 2.1 through to Warp 4 on a quarter gig, and Linux on half a
gig (Bo through Slink.) Originally, Windows NT was on a quarter gig,
until I got the 1.6 GB second drive. When the first drive died (taking
WinNT with it,) I replaced it with a 2.4 GB drive that was split between
OS/2 and Linux.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org