Re: IDE disks won't interoperate

Oliver Elphick said:
> Situation:
>
> I have a 6Gb 2.5" drive from a laptop, that won't boot in the laptop and
> has been replaced by a 10Gb drive. (The old disk is Hitachi DK228A-65, and
> the new is DK23BA-10.)

a lot of older IDE disks have compadiblity issues with each other.
some refuse to be a slave in any configuration, some refuse to work
on the same channel unless the other disk is the same brand(or same model),
etc.

your best bet would be to install a 2nd ide controller and hook the
drive to it. or you can try making the cdrom a slave and the hard disk
a master and see if that helps. also there may be special jumpers on the
disk which may put it in a more 'compadible' mode. consult the docs on the
drive for this info. I reccomend promise ata/100 controllers.

nate