Re: IDE disks won't interoperate

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 05:13:31PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Situation:
>
> I have a 6Gb 2.5" drive from a laptop, that won't boot in the laptop and
> has been replaced by a 10Gb drive. (The old disk is Hitachi DK228A-65,
> and the new is DK23BA-10.)
>
> The laptop repairers copied the Windows partition but couldn't handle
> the ext2 partitions.  I need to get those partitions onto the new laptop
> disk.
>
> I mounted the old 6Gb drive in a desktop pc (running woody, with kernel
> 2.4.18-k7) as /dev/hdd and copied the files from the ext2 partitions
> onto another disk.
>
> Then I put the 10Gb disk onto /dev/hdd, intending to copy back on to
> it.  However, the machine won't boot with it there; I get complaints
> about lost interrupts.  (The drive is correctly jumpered as a slave,
> according to the instructions printed on it.)
>
> From dmesg:
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: Conner Peripherals 1080MB - CFS1081A, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 50XS, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: 20044080 sectors (10263 MB) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=19885/16/63, UDMA(33)
> hdb: 2114180 sectors (1082 MB), CHS=2097/16/63, DMA
>
> On booting, if /dev/hdd is present, the BIOS may complain:
>
> Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed
> Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed
>
> and refuse to boot.  Last time, I got round this by auto-detecting each
> of the four drives, but the BIOS settings seem to get lost.  If I boot
> without the drive; then put it back in and boot again, it shows as 2Gb
> instead of 10Gb and needs to be autodetected again.  (At the moment it
> won't boot at all with that drive in.)
>
> Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how I can get round it.
>
> --
> Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
> LFIX Limited

Things I have found useful with this sort of problem:
1) Try changing the state of the Cable Select jumper. Some drives are
funny and want it on even when you're not using Cable Select.
2) Take the CD-ROM off, and try the drive as the sole device on the
cable.
3) Make sure there isn't a mismatch between the methods the drive
connector and cable connector use for polarisation, which has led you
to plug it in upside down without any obvious physical difficulty.

2) is probably the most likely.

Can you try taking the laptop apart and running both HDs in that with
a cable out of the desktop?

Pigeon