RE:Re: block webistes "websites"

Im not trying to troll but what complications?

Regards, Dean.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 07:30:28 -0800 Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
(Your mailing habits are somewhat broken.  Please turn on your line
wraps and don't top post.)
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:22:33PM +0000, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:
> you should try a HOSTS file, define 127.0.0.1 as localhost on first
> line and type 127.0.0.1 forbiddendomain.com on second, I use mine to
> block doubleclick...

This is not a good use of the hosts file and could confuse things down
the line.  A better solution to this would be to do any of the
following:

1) Use iptables to deny connections to 80/tcp on undesirable hosts.
2) Use squidgaurd
3) If you're trying to stomp ads, use adzap.  http://adzapper.sourceforge.net/

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>