Re: dist-upgrade (potato->woody): how to get X back up?

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> under potato i had X (and kde2 thanks to some unofficial
> sources.list items) up and running like a champ. occasionally
> konqueror would die colorfully (hit alt-left to go back a few
> pages and boom, only one desktop, no window borders...)
>
> and X windows worked fine under potato.
>
> now i've "dist-upgrade"d to woody and there are a plethora of
> technical questions i'm supposed to know the answers to, in
> order to get X going. such as--
>
> 	select the desired X server driver
> 	please enter the video card's bus identifier
> 	enter the amount of memory used by your video card
> 	use kernel framebuffer interface?
> 	select the XKB rule set to use
> 	choose your mouse port
> 	choose the entry that best describes your mouse
> 	write default dri section to config file?
>
> ...to name a few...
>
> SO: how do i find out what those answers should be?
>
> e.g. what makes a mouse a ps/2 mouse and not ImPS/2? what the
> heck is a DRI device? how can you tell, by looking at the case,
> whether the mouse port would be called mouse or ttyS0 or psaux?
>
> (i finally figured out how to get to the questions again: it's
> 	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> that does the asking. and i have no clue for the answers... :( )
>
>===

Try 'XFree86 -configure' If it detects your hardware, it will produce the
proper XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file.  Mine gave me such high resolution
that I had to include some Mode lines in the Screen section for lower
resolution.  If it is less than perfect, at least you might be able to
modify it.

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910