system screwy after kernel install; apt-get log?

so, I screwed up pretty thoroughly yesterday.  I tried to install the
new DeMuDi beta (a sub-distro of debian that focuses on sound
software) to my existing (mostly) woody machine.  I was fairly
cavalier
about it, didn't pay such close attention to the installation process,
which involved a new kernel and new versions of alsa & the JACK sound
server.

I had trouble getting the woody version to install so I went ahead and
installed the sid version (using apt-get).

Also the install process hung up two or three times during the
configuration of the ALSA sound modules.  (so my original modules and
modules.conf files are gone)

...And at the end of the process, a whole bunch of stuff was broken.
Most Importantly:
-my printer only prints blank pages
-no sound-related software will open, let alone play/record

sooo...  I would like to have my old, only-slightly-broken, system
back.  Unfortunately I installed the demudi-base package, which in its
turn installs a whole bunch f other packages, and I didn't keep
careful track during the process itself.  Does apt-get keep a
log somewhere that I can use to make sure I've undone (most of) the
damage I did when I installed demudi?  I've been through the apt howto
and the Debian Reference and I didn't find mention of such a log
file...

anyway,
thanks much,
matt