Re: Non-Linux-aware ISP: please spoon feed

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:16:19 +0000, Chris Lale
<ctlale@coolscience.co.uk> wrote:

>Pigeon wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:00:21 +0000, Chris Lale
>> <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>Here's a solution you may not like! If all else fails, connect to
>>>ukonline using Windows using their CD/helpline. Then copy the settings
>>>from dialup networking.
>>
>> Tee hee... that's how I connect to them at the moment!
>>
>> It does seem to be the case that pppconfig has created the same
>> settings for Linux as dialup networking has for Windoze. In both,
>> dynamic DNS is set.
>>
>> I can set dynamic DNS in dialup networking and it works, but in
>> pppconfig, it doesn't. And Windoze being what it is, that "Server
>> Types" tab is all you get. There's no human-readable file behind it
>> somewhere to pull extra settings out of.
>
>Perhaps you would be justified in submitting a bug report for pppconfig?

Hmm... I think not until it is working, because I might find that
there's something wrong other than pppconfig. In any case, the author
of pppconfig has been following this thread, so he knows about it
already. I don't want to scream "BUG!" until I'm sure it is one.

>> Now, I can surf with waitrose (static), but not ukonline (dynamic); if
>> I retrieve the IP address of a page while in waitrose, then kill
>> waitrose and bring up ukonline, I can read the page, so most of it's
>> working, just the dynamic DNS is dead.
>
>I am no expert but it seems to me that you are hanging onto waitrose's
>DNS servers, so ukonline continues ok. I seem to remember being able to
>use Demon's DNS servers because they were publicly available (ie you did
>not have to login to Demon to use them). This was 2 or 3 years ago. I am
>not sure if that is still the case, and I am afraid I can't remember the
>adresses. Might be some mileage here though.
>
>Hth
>
>Chris

No, once I kill the waitrose connection I can't use their DNS servers
anymore. But if I ask mozilla to read a page for which it has already
looked up the address while I was in waitrose, it can read that page
via ukonline, as it has cached the address. If I then try and read a
new page for which it _doesn't_ already have the address, mozilla just
vanishes instantly. Kerpow! gone.

Your Demon idea sounds interesting, though. I'll have a look on Google
and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Pigeon