Can you get Xm stubs?

Trying to compile mosaic, I get problems because I don't have motif.
Despite setting the make options to tell it that (a) I don't have
Motif and (b) I want to build without Motif, it still looks for Xm.h
and moans when it can't find it. And it still wants the definitions
from Xm.h, so I can't fudge it with a null file.

I get the same sort of problem trying to compile mozilla - my slink
version runs, but keeps throwing up various X errors, probably because
it wasn't compiled with X 4.2, so I want to recompile it.

The obvious solution is to install Motif, but (a) I don't really want
it and (b) it's a bitch to configure the compilation, partly because
it's awkwardly laid out and partly because the docs on how to do this
are inconsistent.

Is there a package which I can build that will give me a set of stubs
to satisfy this?

Incidentally I get the same sort of problems trying to compile things
without NLS support.

Pigeon