need to get modem working...winmodem? possibly conexant?

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2486 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
	Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0227
	I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
	I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]

It appears to be http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=80862486

and some further searching suggests the hsflinux. How do I get this
thing running? Do I have to hand patch this?.... www.linmodems.org
may well be useful

Any help would be appreciated?

also tried: (I suppose I'll have to give it try) anyone have experience
with this particular modem?

# ./listmodem.sh
  =                  RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                    =

    ATTENTION: No Conexant PCI modem was found.
	 An AC-link communication device (Modem) was detected.
	  This utility cannot determine if it is a Conexant
	   manufactured modem.
	    You can download the Conexant driver from:
		http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/
		 and install it on your system.
		  The driver may work only if you have a Conexant modem.