Re: Can I eliminate carriage returns when sending to mac

On 28 Nov 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 02:43:45PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> | I have to send text files to a publisher who uses a mac.
> |
> | The files are written with vim and sent via mutt. I am told that all the
> | lines have carriage returns. I've tried using no textwidth setting in
> | vim and have converted the files to mac format but it still doesn't
> | work. I also sent them as rtf converted with abiword but no better.
> |
> | Is there any way to send files that don't have this?
>
> Text file EOL markers are as follows :
>
> Unix    \n      (LF)
> Windows \r\n    (CRLF)
> Mac     \r      (CR)
>
> Vim supports all three formats.  I personally have only used vim on
> unix and windows to handle unix and windows files on each.  Look at
> the 'ff' option (:help ff).  You should be able to
>     :set ff=mac
>     :w
> and have a Mac-style text file on-disk.  mutt won't (shouldn't; I'd
> call it a bug if it did) munge the file on you.
>
> HTH,
> -D

I already tried this and seemingly it didn't work any better. Of course,
the problem may be at their end...

Looking at the resultant file with less, I get ^M at the end of each
line, which is carriage return, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic