dselect trying to remove newer stuff in favor of older stuff

Everytime I mess w/ the sources.list, and go into dselect, it seems to
arbitrarily choose a bunch of stuff to install.  Well for instance adding
"testing" for the first time.  I don't even select anything, and then there
is this mess of dependency and it ALWAYS wants to remove kdelibs4, libarts1,
and some other things, which would totally break a bunch of stuff I use (like
KDE for instance).

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it has decided I should
install, WHY it is suddenly telling me to install anything, and why it would
favor older versions of anything.

I've also noticed dozens of posts to this list with "apt-get ..." and almost
none that mention dselect, what's up with that?

If I do an "apt-get upgrade" would that be roughly the same as just accepting
dselect's "suggestions" or whatever they are?  How does apt-get resolve all
this mess while dselect seems to get confused?

If I do an "apt-get upgrade" how I can I copy all the text into a file for
later perusal?  If I > then it doesn't work as I can't answer the prompts.

Thanks!!!