Re: What should I do after a power failure?

Timmo said:

> So I'm also very curious about what happens, aside from the file system
> which seems to be able to fix itself.

this entirely depends on how the system lost power. If the system
lost power in a clean way, that being something such as a UPS cut
the power(e.g. going from 110V to 0V in 1ms or something), probably
not much if any damage to the hardware.

If the system is hooked directly to the outlet, any number of things
can happen. The power can slowly drag down, perhaps it drops to 80V
and hovers there, the computer may be in half-on state(depending on
the power supply), the power could spike before it drops off. Some
power outages I've noticed the input voltage on the UPSs still have
some voltage(sometimes less then 1 volt). Other outages the voltage
drops to 0.0V and stays there.

severe damage can occur in spikes(some of which a surge supressor
can prevent), and brownouts(very hard to detect without some sort
of meter, most UPSs beep if they detect a brownout).

I protect my home network with an APC SmartUPS 1000RM, a Cyberpower
1500AVR, and a Cyberpower 900AVR. all are connected to NUT which
emails me when theres problems(and logs to my syslog server).

I do like APC's powerchute though, it has a lot of nice features and
shows a lot more detail on the UPS(if its a SmartUPS at least).

nate