Re: What should I do after a power failure?

"Timmo" <tim@madmenonly.com> writes:

> About 2 years ago, the last time I tried to get linux off the ground, I had
> an accidental power interruption and the box was totally hosed from it.
>
> I've had one occur recently, and the file system checker did it's thing but
> things were never quite right again.  I ended up deleting and recreating
> everything relating to the user that was logged in to KDE at the time.

If you have frequent problems of this sort, one thing that I've found
helpful is to install the debsums package, and configure it to
generate md5sums files for any packages that don't already come with
them.  Then, when my hard drive eats itself[1], I run 'debsums -s' and
reinstall any packages with corrupted files or broken md5sums files.

[1] Not that this happens on my laptop, uh, about once a week or
anything...

	-- Abra Mitchell