Re: What should I do after a power failure?

on the subject of journalled filesystems.  i've been using reiserfs.
i've noticed that invariably, some files will get corrupted,
especially logs.  they end up looking like 2 files spliced together.

anytime inn doesn't get to shutdown properly, i end up having to
rebuild all its history db's, etc, because they get corrupted.

i don't remember seeing such anomalies with ext2 a long time ago,
though fscks would take forever.

is this a strangeness with reiserfs?  would it not happen with another
journalling fs, like jfs, xfs, or ext3?  or is it just me?

while reiserfs gets booted quicker after a crash, it doesn't
necessarily feel safer.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |