Re: Need a script to reboot when xfree86 takes 99% of cpu

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:03:16 +0800, marius rogn wrote:

> I have trouble with 6 of the workstations used by my users, 60
> teachers. Occasionally, once a day, the machine will hang totally
> because of Xfree86 taking 99% of the CPU. This happens when the users
> logs out, the screen will go all grey/black, and won't respond to any
> keyboard activity, the solution is to ssh into it from another machine
> and reboot it.

Are you sure this is "the solution"?  Have you tried just restarting X
instead?  Usually doing something like '/etc/init.d/[xgk]dm restart'
fixes these kinds of problems pretty well.  A lot faster and nicer than
rebooting the box.

As far as the script to do automatically reboot, I'm not much help.

HTH

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli