Re: Testing; openoffice installed but I can not find the setup program in any menu.(solved)

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 12:20, John Foster wrote:
> > Open Office 1.01 is installed but the .debs do not seem to have
> created
> > a .setup file for /root or the /home/user directory. I installed from
> > testing mirror site. I know that I need to run this and input the info
> > required in the registration area (even though it is not required) in
> > order for the various programs to run. All of the applications are
> > listed in the KDE3 menu correctly just no setup, Any ideas??
> > John
> ================================
> Well go figure this.... I restarted the system and the entire batch of
> OpenOffice applications are now working. Is this something new??  I have
> never noticed this as a requirement before on ANY Linux system with he
> exception of updating a kernel.
> I guess I will just file this under one of the lovely features of
> running testing/unstable :-)
> John

At times, I've had to log out and back in due to changed libraries - the
old editions were still in use for some aspect of X11, and for an
updated or new program or function to work (or work correctly,) a
logout/login was needed to bring everything up-to-date. That is
essentially what M$ does with its repeated reboots during installation
of software - forcing the move to updated libraries and drivers.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org