Re: smbfs just isn't there

Tim Verry said:
> Nope, just installed from 3.0_r0/i386/debian-30r0-i386-binary-1.iso
>
> I've never compiled any kernels.  I'm curious though how to do it if it's
> the  answer to this problem.  Hopefully then I can figure out what went
> wrong.
>
> I assume that it should have just been in the kernel, right?  I can count
> on  one hand the times I limped through downloading and installing
> something  without dselect.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=smbfs.o&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=stable&arch=i386

that shows all the packages in woody which have the smbfs.o file(kernel
module). the default 2.2.20 kernel appears to have it, is there not
a /lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/smbfs.o on your system?

if so, try insmod /lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/smbfs.o , perhaps for some
reason the system does not 'detect' the module so modprobe doesn't see it.

nate