Re: smbfs just isn't there

Nope, just installed from 3.0_r0/i386/debian-30r0-i386-binary-1.iso

I've never compiled any kernels.  I'm curious though how to do it if it's the
answer to this problem.  Hopefully then I can figure out what went wrong.

I assume that it should have just been in the kernel, right?  I can count on
one hand the times I limped through downloading and installing something
without dselect.