smbfs just isn't there

mount -t smbfs -o username=me,password=foobar //server/share /dir/dir
ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255

Woody with kernel 2.2.20, newest KDE, updated apache, sendmail, webmin
installed, other than that pretty basic.

cat /proc/filesystems  reveals that there is no smbfs
modprobe smbfs   says can't locate module
modprobe smbfs.o   says can't locate module
locate smbfs.o  finds nothing
searching Debian packages for smbfs.o gets hits on kernel images only

I downloaded and installed Samba 2.2.7 and configured with "./configure
--with-smbmount" thinking it would put everything into place, it changed
nothing except that it was looking for smb.conf in a new place so I copied it
there.

Have a variety of samba tools installed, in spite of their (at least partial)
dependance on smbfs none of them installed it or checked if it was installed.
smbclient works fine, creating smb shares works fine, the only Samba thing
that doesn't work is smbmount.

Now when I run dselect I see that it is not aware that samba has been upgraded
- how do I tell dselect what version it really is?  I am a newbie and depend
on dselect to keep all the dependencies straight (even though in this case it
didn't work).

I would like to just modprobe it during boot, but if I have to compile the
kernel I'll need some help as I've not been able to figure it out.

Also, if I do modprobe smbfs during boot, where do I put it?  I keep seeing
references to /etc/rc.d/rc.local but I don't seem to have this file.

Thanks.

--
Tim Verry