Re: Displaying Output on xdm login screen

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:42:02PM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2002, 21:43:56, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:58:53PM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> > > BTW - I figured it out - put the command in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup . . .=20
> >
> > xdm probably runs as root, so you'll want to be careful with what you
> > run on the login screen, since anyone who walks up to your machine will
> > fairly trivially be able to get root access.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I thought about that, and all I'm running, in addition
> to xconsole, is gkrellm with the -nc (non-configurable) switch.
>
> I have no way to physically secure the system, and they wanted an easy way
> to tell if it was up.  So running gkrellm as root on the xdm display is safer
> than leaving an account logged in and running gkrellm on that user's desktop.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1.  Do any of the various xdm replacements (gdm, et. al.) not run as root?

Not sure, but I doubt it.  ?dm has to effectively su to whichever user
logs on, and this requires root priveleges.  Well, as far as I know...

> 2.  Could I run this instantiation of gkrellm as an ordinary user and have
> it display on the root xdm (or gdm or whatever) login window?

Yes, you can.  You just need to let that particular user have access to
the display XDM is running on.  man xauth should reveal the answer.

-rob