Re: Displaying Output on xdm login screen

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:27, Doug MacFarlane wrote:

> Is there a way, with xdm (or gdm or some other login display manager) to
> display the output of a program running in the background, say gkrellm or
> top?  Similar to how the console is displayed?
>
> I have a system that froze on the login screen and the clients looked at
> it and saw the login screen and assumed the machine was running (none of
> them have logins on the debian box) . . . they asked for an easy way to determine
>
> if it was running, as if it's going to hang every day or so . . .
>
> So, if I could give them the pretty gkrellm monitors on the xdm login screen,
> they'd think that was really kewl . . .
>
> madmac
>

> --
> Doug MacFarlane
> madmac@covad.net

Seems to me that at least one of them has a setting that runs xconsole
on a window beside the login window, and ISTR seeing a fishtank dynamic
wallpaper running underneath the login window. If those work, you likely
could get away with specifying a V4L feed on the desktop - see what
reaction you would get with a webcam displaying on the desktop the
images of the person at the keyboard as they are logging in...
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org