Re: Displaying Output on xdm login screen

On 21 Nov 2002, 14:42:06, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:27, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> >=20
> > Is there a way, with xdm (or gdm or some other login display manager) to
> > display the output of a program running in the background, say gkrellm or
> > top?  Similar to how the console is displayed?
>
> Seems to me that at least one of them has a setting that runs xconsole
> on a window beside the login window, and ISTR seeing a fishtank dynamic
> wallpaper running underneath the login window. If those work, you likely
> could get away with specifying a V4L feed on the desktop - see what
> reaction you would get with a webcam displaying on the desktop the
> images of the person at the keyboard as they are logging in...

I LOVE that idea !!!!  Talk about freaky . . . people would walk by and look
at themselves on the screen like they do for the hand-held video cameras
at Best Buy!!

;-)

BTW - I figured it out - put the command in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup . . .

--
Doug MacFarlane
madmac@covad.net