Re: Questions before installing w2k or XP Dual-Boot

Am Donnerstag, 21. November 2002 22:44 schrieb Michelle Storm:
> I'm planing on installing Windows 2k Pro or XP, on a 15gb HD.
>
> But I want to know the proper way to do this before I try it, as I can't
> really afford to reformat and start over with my entire system.
>
> Currently I have the following setup.
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3 reiserfs     24G  1.5G   22G   7% /
> proc          proc       0     0     0   -  /proc
> devpts      devpts       0     0     0   -  /dev/pts
> /dev/hda1     ext3    7.6M  4.8M  2.5M  67% /boot
> /dev/hda5 reiserfs     49G   15G   34G  31% /home
> /dev/hda6 reiserfs    2.4G   33M  2.3G   2% /tmp
> /dev/hdb1 reiserfs     15G   33M   15G   1% /data
> usbdevfs  usbdevfs       0     0     0   -  /proc/bus/usb
>

> /dev/hdb1 will be what I'm going to install Windows 2k Pro or XP on.
>
> What I need to know is, when I install Windows 2k Pro or XP, what will I
> need to do to ensure that my Linux is still bootable.
>
> Is there something I need to do PRIOR to installing windows?
> Only reason I am installing windows is that there are some programs that
> I just can't get running on linux (games mostly, my stress relief), but
> also this is a learning experience for me.
>
> I'm in no rush to install windows. If I could play all my games I like
> on Linux, I'd never go back to windows.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi,

I don't have any personal experience in installing an XP on an Linux-Box, but
my girlfriend needed a NT-based OS for her studies and decided to install XP.
She had an ntfs partition where it should be installed, but she wanted to
format it to wipe an existing 2k installation. For that she needed to remove
that partition and recreate :-((( and format it. So far so good. Before
installation I explained her what to do (she knows nearly nothing about
linux). When she wanted to boot from installation CD with

rescbf24 root=/dev/hda3

(hda3 was the root partition prior XP install) the kernel dropped her to the
console, saying something about short read and that the partition is empty.
After quite a long time on the phone, we found out that XP rearranged the
order of the primary partitions. So what to do:

oops, I didn't realize up to now you want to install Win?? on the
Primary/slave hdd - can you do that !?! Maybe you need to swap the two disks.
Maybe there is no reason to worry about partitioning...

... but try this:

*** ML: correct me if I'm wrong - thanks ***

Before installation:
- make a backup of all your data !!!
- remove the hdb1 and recreate a ntfs or fat32 (don't know exactly which one)
for write access from Linux
- print out a list of your current partition tables (including sizes - so that
you can identify them after installation)

After installation:
- start the Debian installation program from CD, change to the console 2 and
check whether the partition names have changed. If so, mount the root
partition and change the /etc/fstab entries to the new values
- unmount the root partition and reboot
- on the boot prompt of the installation CD enter s.th. like that (hda3 is
your root partition):

rescue root=/dev/hda3

- your linux should reboot normally
- as root:
  * make your root partition bootable
  * change the root= entry in /etc/lilo.conf to your (new?) root partiton and
it might be a good idea to install lilo (you are using lilo, aren't you!?!)
in the boot sector of your root partition (boot=) and insert an entry for
Win??:
 other=/dev/hdb1
      label=WinXP
  * run lilo
- reboot

Hopefully, I did forget nothing.

Finally, check the following thread:

      Help! Debian unbootable after XP re-install :-(

Good luck,

Tobias